Wednesday 22 April 2009

Longford to Killashandra - Monday 20th April

Today was another sunny day, the route however was a bit of a roller coaster, steep, steep hills. The tread on my right trainer is completely missing with all the foot breaking! I'm hoping there is enough tread left to get me to Malin Head.

Highlight of the day was meeting Martina and Padraig Tiernan and their family. Martina helps run the Killashandra Foroige Club for children aged between nine and eighteen. Foroige means 'learn by doing'. Martina had contacted me prior to arriving in Ireland as the children were interested in my journey. On arrival at the club I was presented with a cheque for the IHF for €200.00 which the children had raised.

I went for dinner with Martina and family and was very taken with the sense of community that thrives in Killashandra in a way I have not experienced in mainland UK.

A very big THANK YOU to the children and adults involved in the Killashandra Foroige Club, there fundraising was amazing and will make a real difference.

Thanks also to the Shamrock Inn Bed & Breakfast for their €10.00 donation.

No comments: