Tuesday 28 April 2009

Quigley's Point to Malin Head - Sunday 26th April

The final push, about 22 miles, weather looks unsettled but is dry as I leave in the morning. The roads are very good, some of the best yet. The scenery gets more beautiful by the mile. I'm happy and grinning as cars flash and people wave at me. Word is out having been interviewed on a local community radio station on Friday morning. Once I near Malin the Atlantic comes into view and scenery takes my breath away.

With less than a mile to go to Malin Head on a short steep downhill, I come off, making a mess of my hands and (as I now know) breaking the little finger on my left hand. My helmet has some nice deep scratches too, don't leave home without one!

I call in at the nearest house and they let me wash and help me bandage my hands with kitchen roll. I'm back on my way as my Aunt and Uncle pass me stopping to say "Hi" before leaving to wait for me at Malin Head.

At about 1.00pm I reach Malin Head to be greeted by my Aunt and Uncle. I stand with hands throbbing, blisters burning and legs aching and look out over the Atlantic, it doesn't sink in what I've done. I can't quite believe I have made it, approximately 408 miles in 15 days.

2 comments:

Laura Hatwell said...

Amazing work Alan - you've done yourself and longboarding proud, and raised so much for charity as well. Big hugs and here's hoping those hands heal quickly. Good work sir, I raise my glass to you!

Anonymous said...

Incredible dude!!

I see you too have suffered from 'The final mile curse'. Hope your finger feels better soon!

Congratulations


Skatefurther Ben